113 Thoughts on Public Relations
May 24, 2011
These are a collection of a dozen thoughts on Public Relations (PR) I tweeted one summer night. Feel free to agree, disagree…
- PR companies are called firms or consultancies, never agencies.
- PR professionals are called executives associates, managers or consultants, never PRs.
- PR firms are modeled around law firms, never around ad agencies – so don’t mistake them for the latter.
- PR is not about media relations alone -that’s sometimes 0% – it involves CSR, digital, crisis, employee comm etc.
- PR firms work on project fee or retainers – sometimes even for an hourly fee, like law firms not on commissions like travel agents or real estate agencies.
- PR as a profession was created to build new and strengthen existing relationships, not to produce media output or coverage.
- PR is a low investment high return service and needs some formal education to be done right, not for anyone and everyone.
- PR can be measured and terms of measurement are determined by campaign creators or the client or both, not by third parties.
- PR is not just doing, it’s mostly about thinking. And thinking not just about the right things but thinking about doing everything right.
- PR is based on strategy and bringing them to life through tactics.
- PR is science like medicine and law and people in the profession practice it. Quacks do exist but can be found out easily.
- PR is also an art which every human being can practice and that is different from the science which is bread and butter to thousands globally.